Add some spice to your traditional Mac-n-Cheese recipe with SaSo’s Three Pepper Tomatillo Hot Sauce! This recipe is great for kids, because they are guaranteed to love it, and you can sneak some nutrients in too. If you like a lot of spice, don’t be scared to add even more SaSo Three Pepper Tomatillo Hot Sauce!
- 1 Cup Homemade Bread Crumbs or Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 lb. Casarecce Pasta, or your choice pasta
- 2 tbsp. unsalted Butter
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. Dry Mustard Powder
- dash Cayenne Pepper
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose Flour
- 1½ cups Milk (2% is preferred)
- 4 oz. Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. Mild Yellow Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. extra Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 large white Onion, diced
- 1/3 cup SaSo Three Pepper Tomatillo Hot Sauce
- 1/2 can (4 oz.) of Diced Hatch Green Chiles … or 1/3 cup Fresh Hatch Chili Peppers, roasted
- Ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400˚ F. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the pasta to the water and cook until slightly under cooked. Drain the pasta and leave in the colander. While the pasta is cooking, dice your onion and cook over medium heat with EVOO for a few minutes until golden brown in color. Add the Hatch Chiles and SaSo Three Pepper Tomatillo Hot Sauce to the onions, stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Stir in the garlic, dry mustard, and cayenne. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown, about 1 minute. Whisk in milk and continue to heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture bubbles and thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the cheeses, whisking until completely melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir the drained pasta into the cheese sauce. Add the onion/pepper mixture to the mac-n-cheese and stir to combine.
Pour the pasta and cheese mixture into a lightly greased 9×9 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs and finish with a little more shredded cheese on top. Bake 30-35 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the bread crumbs are golden brown. (You may want to place a baking sheet on the rack underneath the baking dish to catch any sauce that bubbles over.)
Add more SaSo Three Pepper Tomatillo Hot Sauce to your prepared Hatch Chili Macaroni & Cheese for the finishing touch! Enjoy.