- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO
- ¾ cup white rice (basmati)
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups diced tomatoes with sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can of chicken/vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cup corn kernels
- 1 ½ cup black beans
- ¼ cup SaSo Chile Pequin Hot Sauce
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Heat EVOO in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes until onions are golden in color. Stir in rice and cook 2 more minutes, until rice is toasted.
Stir in tomato paste, tomatoes with sauce and chicken/vegetable broth. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer about 2 minutes. Stir in corn kernels, black beans and SaSo Chile Pequin hot sauce. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat and simmer until rice is cooked, about 17-18 minutes. Stir frequently.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Top rice with chopped cilantro leaves. Serve with SaSomole and chips. **If you like a lot of spice, don’t be afraid to add even more Chile Pequin hot sauce to this mixture.